How To Get Canadian Student Visa
Canada is one of the best countries in the world with good regards when it comes to Education and there are many courses offered by different universities across the country. If you are not from Canada, you must obtain a Canadian student visa before you can study in Canada. We have gradually compiled the procedures for obtaining a Canadian student visa in this article.
What country is Canada?
Canada is a country in northern North America. It’s ten provinces and three regions stretch from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, then north to the Arctic Ocean, and with a cover area of about 9.98 million square kilometers. In terms of total area, it is the second largest country in the world – Wikipedia.
How Canadian Universities Work
Canadian universities are created and managed by charters from the provincial government or, in some cases, led by Indigenous groups.
Each Canadian university has independence in terms of academic affairs, including quality insurance policies, course procedures, faculty and procedures of learning. Admission in a Canadian university and the university’s regional government charter is a service rather than institutional accreditation in Canada and abroad.
Each year, more than 120,000 international students apply for scholarship in Canadian universities. This is due to the high quality education system and the opportunities available after graduation in the country. Research, student publications and collaboration among other famous universities around the world are areas of interest for Canadian universities too.
The process of obtaining a Canadian student visa
Choose your preferred university online and then apply to that institution for an acceptance letter. Please note that before applying for a student visa, it is important to apply to the university directly in advance through their website. If you have applied to college / university, if you meet the admission requirements, you will be sent an acceptance letter.
Check if you need to apply for a student visa in Canada
If any of the following conditions are met, a study visa (or a Canadian study permit) is not required:
- You are a family member or employee of a Canadian foreign representative who has been approved by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.
- You participated in a study program that lasted less than six months.
- You are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act.
- You are a citizen of another country, but you have Indian citizenship in Canada.
However, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada.
Start applying for a Canadian student visa
If your application is accepted by your ideal institution, this institution will send you an acceptance letter; you will have to accept it. Once accepted, you can apply for a student visa; Also called student pass.
The first step in obtaining a student visa:
- Visit the Immigration and Citizenship Canada (CIC) website to apply for a student visa online
If your internet access is restricted, you can go to the local immigration service in your country of residence and apply for a visa in writing.
You must submit a letter of acceptance from a specific educational institution recognized by the Canadian government
- Provide proof that the financial resources are sufficient to support your studies in Canada (tuition and living expenses).
- No criminal record.
- Submit a medical record confirming that you are in good health and have a medical examination if necessary.
- According to recent visa regulations, if your family members work in Canada or apply for a work permit, your study permit application will be processed within two weeks. If you wish to continue your studies, the course has been postponed or the school changed, you can renew or extend your study permit.
- When you receive a notice of end of course, your study permit expires 90 days after the end of your studies. You can still stay in Canada to travel, explore or apply for a work permit, so you can work full or part time, or even work on your own.
Helpful tip: Check if your home country is on the biometric list to apply for a study permit.
Documents required to obtaining a Canadian student visa
Before applying for a student visa, please ensure that you have the following documents
- Completed student card/request form.
- The original copy of the university acceptance letter.
- A valid passport / travel document which also allows you to return to your home country. If you live in the United States, this is not necessary.
- Two recent passport size photos with their name and date of birth at the back.
- Proof of financial strength during the study: tuition fees + 833 CAD / month (outside Quebec, all provinces) or tuition fees + 917 CAD / month (Quebec)
- An intelligent write-up as to why you choose to study in Canada.
- If you intend to study in Quebec, you will also need a Quebec certificate, English and French translations, instructions for translation and certified true copies of the original documents.
- Proof that you have paid the study permit fees ($ 150 CAD)
Language requirements for a Canadian student visa
Unless you are from an English speaking country, Canadian universities will ask you to provide proof of English proficiency. The accepted language tests are:
- Cambridge English: advanced
Proof of your language skills is not included in the list of documents required for a Canadian student visa. However, only then is it better to have proof of English proficiency.
Biometric appointments and interviews
Depending on the requirements from your country / region, you may need to go to the visa application center in your country / region to take a biometric identification.
Canadian $ 85 biometrics fee: This fee is in addition to the usual visa fees. Some countries are exempt from accessing biometrics, so you probably don’t need to visit the App Center at all.
After applying for a Canadian study permit, it may take up to 90 days to process the visa, but it is usually shorter. It also largely depends on the situation in your country.
Depending on your personal situation, an interview may also be requested. The local visa application center will charge a small fee for using the service.
Hope this is helpful.